Frequently Asked Questions

"Why are there so many tires in our rivers?" Prior to 1985 there were no regulations against the act of stockpiling scrap tires and no tire recycling programs existed. To rectify this situation Pennsylvania Legislatures enacted the Waste Tire Recycling Act 190 in 1996. Before tire recycling, landfill operators generally did not accept waste tires since tires cannot be compacted and represented an inefficient use of landfill space. Lacking a viable location to dispose of waste tires, millions of tires were dumped in ravines, waterways, and stockpiled on low-lying areas of land such as riverbanks and wetlands. When a flood related event occurs the river level rises and the adjacent tire piles became dislodged and floated into the waterway. [According to the EPA Region 5 publication on "Scrap Tires in the Great Lakes Region", the United Sates now recycles 78 percent of the 281 million waste tires generated each year. For more information on Pennsylvania's Tire Recycling Program visit keyword, "DEP Waste Tires".]

"How do I organize a roadway litter cleanup and who do I contact? How can I begin to adopt a roadway/trail system/school litter cleanup program…?" PennDot operates the state-wide "Adopt-A-Highway Program" on all state owned highways. This program offers citizens an effective way to maintain debris-free roadsides either through a one-time cleanup event or through PennDot's official adoption program. To adopt a two-mile section of roadway a volunteer group may sign a two-year agreement with PennDot. The group will hold a minimum of four cleanups annually. For each cleanup event PennDot will provide gloves, trash bags, orange safety vests, "Litter Crew Ahead" roadside signage, and will collect the filled trash bags soon thereafter. In addition, PennDot will erect signs along the roadway giving the group full credit for their community service commitment. Visit keyword, "Adopt-A-Highway" or contact your local PennDot office in Clinton County at 570-726-2200, or Lycoming County at 570-368-8686.

For additional adoption opportunities or to organize a litter cleanup for all other non-state owned roadsides, public trail systems, or to learn about the "Litter Free School Zone Program" visit Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful at keyword, "Adoption Program" or call 877-772-3673 extension 104.

"I found an illegal dumpsite/littered roadside pull-off/tires in a river...what should I do and who should I call?" The first step is not to confront any local citizen/s or to personally investigate the site - leave those responsibilities to regulatory/enforcement officials. The second step is to know and to be prepared to clearly describe where the dumpsite or litter is located. This would include an adjacent street name and address, nearby crossroad/s, and municipal and county designations. The third step is to contact and report the site to the local police department. Note: If the site appears to have a toxin or may require an emergency response contact the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection's (PA DEP) northcentral regional office in Williamsport at 570-327-3636 and/or call 911.

If the problem area is not a safety or health hazard emergency and is not under the jurisdiction of a local police department, but is located on public land/right-of-way contact the regional PA State Police office.

The trash lays on, in, or near surface water contact the PA Fish & Boat Commission.

The trash in on State Game Lands or on private property that is open to public hunting contact the PA Game Commission's regional office.

The trash is on State Forest Land or State Park Land contact the associated PA DCNR Bureau of Forestry or Sate Park office.

To report an environmental concern or complaint contact PA DEP's Service Representative at 570-327-3564.

You may also consider contacting Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful (KPB) and report your concern. KPB is not an enforcement agency, but they will forward your report to the applicable agency. For additional guidance, or to report a dumpsite/litter location visit keyword, "Dumpsite".

"I found a dumpsite/tire stockpile on private property. Who do I call?" Contact the associated local police department, municipal office, and/or elected official. After a reasonable length of time and if you are not satisfied with their response, consider contacting a state enforcement agency.

"There is a privately owned residential property in my neighborhood that stockpiles trash all over their yard [e.g. tires/trash/vehicles/appliances, etc.]. What can be done to clean it up?" Again, step number one - do not confront the property owner or personally investigate the site - leave those responsibilities to regulatory/enforcement officials. You may contact a state agency and ask if they are able to assist. The state agency may recommend you report your concern to the local municipal government. Either way it is always recommended that the local municipal government representatives are aware of the situation. If the local municipal representatives/enforcement agency are unable to assist you due to legal issues, etc. you may consider requesting your local elected officials review a model ordinance that is written to regulate open storage on private property. If you would like an electronic copy of the model ordinance titled, "Open Storage on Private Property" submit your request to with the understanding that CleanScapes and their affiliates did not compose the model ordinance, claims no responsibly for its content, and will not guarantee the ordinance's effectiveness upon adoption. [The model ordinance template CleanScapes will provide is based upon a similar version adopted by a local municipality in Clinton County. CleanScapes' publication is an educational tool that is intended to be utilized as an informational resource.]

"How do I dispose of trash/recyclables/tires/electronics/household hazardous waste/woody debris…?" For detailed information on accepted materials and proper disposal guidance contact your local landfill facility. For the landfill facility in Clinton County contact the Wayne Township Landfill in McElhattan at, 570- 769-6977 or 888-306-8781. In Lycoming County contact the Lycoming County Resource Management Services in Montgomery at keyword, "Landfill" or 800-326-9571.

Clinton County CleanScapes and their affiliate Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful are non-profit community service organizations and are not enforcement agencies, but we do support the enforcement of all laws against dumping and littering. The information provided is current as of publication and is intended as a community resource. If you find an inaccuracy, have an update, or would like to comment contact CleanScapes.