..:: Home > Departments > Conservation District > Determine What Type of Permit  ::..

Determine What Type of Permit, Plan, or Practice is Required for your Project

Pennsylvania Code, Title 25, Chapter 102 and the Clean Streams Law require that best management practices be utilized at all earthmoving sites to minimize the potential for accelerated erosion and sedimentation. A written erosion and sediment pollution control plan is required under any of the following conditions:

  • The proposed earth disturbance activity will take place in an Exceptional Value (EV) or High Quality (HQ) Watershed or have the potential to discharge to these waters. (A major portion of watersheds in Clinton County fall into these categories).
  • The proposed earth disturbance activity will result in a total disturbance of 5,000 square feet or more in a Cold Water or Warm Water Watershed.
  • The person proposing the earth disturbance activity is required to develop a plan under the direction of other PA Department of Environmental Protection permits or approvals (i.e. Chapter 105 stream and wetland permits, etc.
  • A written plan is required by Municipal or County ordinances, permits, zoning, watershed plan, or similar requirements.
  • NPDES permits are required for all projects that will result in a total disturbance of 1 acre or more.
  • If you have questions about these rules and regulations or about how to control accelerated erosion, please call the resource conservation staff at (570) 726-3798.

Any streamwork in most cases requires stream and wetland permits (otherwise known as a Chapter 105 General Permit), for any activity that changes, expands or diminishes the course, current or cross-section of a stream, floodway or body of water. A Chapter 105 General permit is required for things such as fish habitat structures, installation of docks, bank rehabilitation projects, road crossings, and wetland disturbance.

Permit, Plan, or Practice Determination Flowchart

Download this flowchart